Sunday, October 11, 2015

I'll Have What Phil's Having

Hands down, and without any doubt, this is the BEST new food and travel series on TV right now. Period!

"I'll Have What Phil's Having" follows the food travel of Phil Rosenthal, the creator of "Everybody Loves Raymond". Two episodes into the series on PBS, it has become a very endearing show on TV. The first episode where he went to Tokyo, was a riot! That egg-cream scene at the end is destined to be a classic. And the reunion scene at the end of the Florence episode will make you cry.

And that is one of the emotions you'll run through during an episode. It'll make you laugh, gasp, cry, etc. It is as much a story of people as it is about food.

Read more of a Q&A with Phil Rosenthal and why he created this series in this news article.

Q. What is the most fun about doing this show?
 
A. All of this is really just an avenue: The food, the travel, the humor . . . it’s just a way to get to the people. That’s what the show is about — getting to know and meet people and trying to connect them through the food, through the humor and through the traveling.

My wife [actress Monica Horan, who played Amy on “Everybody Loves Raymond”] showed the Paris episode to a friend of hers who had never gone on a family vacation. After watching it, she called me, and my hand to God, she said, “Phil, I booked tickets and I’m taking my family to Paris because of the show.” It was the greatest compliment and I got very emotional because this was really all I wanted. 

To me, the best shows about food are not on The Food Network. Bizarre Food with Andrew Zimmern, America's Test Kitchen series, A Chef's Life, and now I'll Have What Phil's Having are all amazing shows that transcend beyond just food. These are the shows that The Food Network does not have the guts to produce! Shame on them!

Zz.

No comments:

Post a Comment