Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Chapati With Malaysian Chicken Curry

This is what we had for dinner tonight.

Made the Malaysian chicken curry last night for dinner with rice. And since curry tastes so much better the next day, I decided to have it again tonight, this time, I accompanied it with my own homemade chapati.

The curry used 2 packets of Malaysian meat curry powder. But I added my own touches which, based on my own recollection, is what a Malaysian current should  be. I added whole star anise, whole  cloves, whole cardamon, and cinnamon sticks. These all are cooked with the curry broth for at least half an hour to impart the aroma and flavor.

In some cases, the Malaysian curry has a base made of shrimp paste (belacan). Since I didn't have any, and since someone here is allergic to shrimp, I substitute that with anchovy paste, and then added fish sauce as a finishing touch. The end result is scrumptious, if I may say so myself.

The chapati is 50/50 combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. I added some salt, about 1/4 cup  of olive oil, and then added some water until I can kneed it into a dough ball. I let it rest of 10 minutes before rolling out golf-ball size dough into flat disk about 1/4 inch thick. Then fry them in some oil on a griddle, and you have chapati.

The chapati went very well with the curry.

Zz.

No comments:

Post a Comment