Sunday, March 28, 2010

Florida Farmers Destroys Strawberry Crop

Can you believe this? The strawberry farmers in Florida are purposely destroying their crops because it is cheaper than harvesting and selling them.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=18854240

Now, I can understand about limiting supply and the fact that it'll cost them a lot more for harvesting them than what they can get by selling the crop. But they've used up so much resources to get to this point already! I can't believe they won't even let other people harvest the crop themselves. And it is strange that they're afraid of letting the public come in and pick those strawberries. Strawberry picking is such a common activity out here in the upper midwest. I've never heard of these midwest farmers being afraid of being sued because someone got "injured".

I'm glad that there are already farmers letting the public, especially those who provide food for the poor, pick their own strawberries, for free. I wish I know which farmers are destroying their crop, so that I'll make sure that I never buy anything from them ever again.

Zz.

No comments:

Post a Comment