Saturday, March 21, 2009

No Decaf After Noon - Follow-Up

Thanks to Matt for bringing this to my attention.

I wrote earlier of my complaint that a Starbucks at a Target store that I went to stopped serving decaf coffee after 12:00 Noon, which I thought was rather strange. Well, it turns out that this is a new Startbucks policy that I missed!

To cut costs, the Seattle coffee giant has instructed its U.S. baristas to stop automatically brewing batches of decaffeinated drip coffee after noon, according to a memo reviewed by The Wall Street Journal and confirmed by the company.

Instead, from noon on, baristas will brew decaf coffee only when a customer orders it, a process the company says will take an extra four minutes or so.

Stores that determine they have enough demand can continue to brew decaf regularly in the afternoon and evening. Starbucks spokeswoman Deb Trevino said the change shouldn't affect customers. "We're just saying brew it based on your store needs rather than a one size fits all," she said.


This makes very little sense! As I've said, one would think that people would want decaf coffee after Noon, and as the day progresses towards the evening. In fact, in that news article, someone mentioned the same thing.

I wonder if they're keeping track of how many people they turned away by this, and if they realize the amount of business they lost. Oh well. Looks like I'm visiting my Caribou Coffee joint more often now.

Zz.

No comments:

Post a Comment